Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Treatments 9-11.

My 9th treatment ended up putting me in the hospital. The evening of April 22 Ryan took me to the ER. It was a busy night. We sat in the waiting room for a couple hours and in the intake room for about 3 more hours. We wanted to walk out because it seemed like we would never get seen. The nurse came in to take my blood and it must have been alarming to them because the doctor came in pretty quickly. My neutrophils were low and I was going to be admitted.

We were moved into an isolated room in the ER and everyone had to wear a mask when they entered. They started giving me neupogen shots to stimulate my bone marrow to make more blood cells. Up until this point I never had to get neupogen injections. They stung but it was ok. Whatever it was going to take to get me back into shape so I could go home. Eva was just 5 weeks old. I had never been away from her. I did not spend a night away from Olivia until she was over a year old. I had this weird mom guilt.

My butt was starting to hurt from hours of being on the ER gurney. I asked my nurse when I would be moved into a real bed and she couldn't answer me. She said it was a very busy night. The neupogen started to kick in and my tail bone was pulsing with pain. It felt like every time my heart would beat my tail bone and spine would be squeezed. I was very uncomfortable. A new nurse came in and asked if i would want to be transferred to Vallejo because they were very low on rooms. I said no way..

I didnt really think I would be there much longer and there was no way I wanted to be transported 45 minutes away to Vallejo. She finally brought me a hospital bed. It was late morning by this time. We had been in the ER since 9pm. I asked if they would be giving me breakfast. She said she would find something for me.. Wow.. ok.

I understand that the ER usually has people coming in and out fairly quickly but when there are no rooms available you need to accommodate your patients.. She brought me a slice of warmed wheat bread and some dry plain cheerios. She said it was too late to call for my neutropenic diet. Ok whatever.. I was soon moved up to the second floor. I was relieved to be away from the ER.

Dr.Lam came to visit and he said I would be home in a day or so. He recommended I use the neupogen shots after my next treatments to keep me out of the hospital.

Treatments 10 and 11 were all fairly uneventful. On the third day after treatment I had to give myself neupogen injections for five days. The first injection was really difficult. It took me awhile to get the strength to actually pierce my skin. Once I pushed it in, it was fine..


No comments:

Post a Comment