Sunday, March 3, 2013

Seventh treatment and 5K.


The week of my seventh treatment was very busy. I started weekly appointments with my perinatologist and twice a week non stress tests. So Monday I saw Dr. P and had a non stress test. The baby is still looking wonderful and in a transverse position. Tuesday I had pre chemo blood work. Wednesday I had chemo and Thursday another non stress test and Olivia's 18 month appointment. Olivia is super healthy and doing great skill wise. Up until delivery I will see Dr. P every Monday and get the two non stress tests. March 6 will be my last treatment until delivering the baby. So March 4-7 will be my last 4 appointment week. Thank goodness!!

Here is a shot at one of my non stress tests..


The 5K was set up for that Sunday. The girls at the salon really pulled it together beautifully. They made up flyers, tickets, special event shirts, raffles and a route. Some local businesses donated generous prizes for the raffle. Ryan Bates photography donated a very large photography package. My dear friend and client spread the word through her husbands Christian private school. Word got around quickly too because even people at Kaiser knew about it and participated. I had one of the nurses read my chart and say "Oh, my friend just text me about your 5K." It was such a great but odd feeling. Its hard to accept that people can be so nice and caring through all of this. 

I had my coworkers, friends, family, strangers.. participating and donating money to my family. I feel so incredibly blessed to have these people in my life. During a time where I cannot provide for my family financially everyone has really rallied around us and taken care of us. Not every family or person going through cancer is as lucky as I am. 

Thursday, Friday and Saturday I tried to keep my energy. Saturday I was feeling really tired but it wasn't going to stop me from participating in the 5K. I did make a plan to have someone pick me up if I needed. Many family members ad friends were coming to show support. I believe over 100 people showed up. Here are some pictures..

They had an extra shirt there for people to sign:



Me, my Mom and step sister Nicole:



Olivia in her own 5K shirt and her monkey kid leash... yes I leashed my child:


I made it probably less than a mile into the 5K. I started getting a cramp underneath my belly and didn't think I should push it. My coworker Julie came to pick me up. When she picked me up we drove the route of the 5K and honked and cheered people on. It was nice to be able to encourage everyone. I felt bad because I made Ryan be the very last person walking with Olivia in the stroller. Most of our family was at least a black ahead. He was able to take a short cut and catch up though. Julie took me back to the salon where the 5K started and would end and I was able to greet people as they came in. I was surprised to see a handful of people already finished when I arrived. 

I can say that the 5k was incredibly successful. I am so thankful for my girls at the salon. They have done everything they can to support me through all this. They are taking care of my clients, they have set up and participated in a meal train, multiple fundraisers including the bunco fundraiser, selling bracelets and the 5k and they continue to collect donations for me. I wish I could do more for them to show my appreciation. Love you everyone as Tasaris Le Salon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment