Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My first treatment/Thanksgiving.

Many friends and family member offered to help and be there for when I had my chemo treatments. My first treatment was the day before Thanksgiving. I was heartbroken because I was going to host it this year. I didnt know how I was going to react to the chemo and I didnt want to ruin my holiday. I begged my doctor to push it a week but he felt like it was important to get things going. My Mom, Gram and Aunt came the day of to watch Olivia and prep Thanksgiving. My Mom and I traditionally make pumpkin pie on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. We use my great Grandmother's recipe. So delicious! This year I had treatment.
My Mom and I checked into the infusion center which is the same floor and area of my Oncologist. We were sat in a large infusion area and my nurse came in. I had the same nurse who gave me my pre-chemo information. I liked her a lot. I would say she was in her early thirties and she kinda danced when she walked. Her name was Samantha. They offered me a drink and then gave me a little cup of about 15 pills. I was surprised. There were about 6 zofran (anti nausea), 6 steroids and 2 tylenol. I took all of them in two mouthfuls. I also remembered I hadnt taken my iron so I took that too. She then started to set everything up. It was going to be my first port poke. I was a little nervous because I had forgot to put the numbing cream on. The nurse cleaned the area and got the needle ready. I turned bright red because I was scared and she did a count down and had me breathe in at the same time. It wasnt bad at all. I had just had the port placed 5 days earlier so I was a little surprised they could access it so quickly. Sam said they could access it basically as soon as its in. Crazy! She hung saline bags and went to get my chemo drugs. Before each chemo she had to show it to me to make sure my information was right on it. The A was red liquid in a syringe. She took about ten minutes to slowly push it in to the port tube. The B was the same but clear. The V was a small IV bag that hung and took about 25 minutes to empty  Then the D.. The D was a larger IV bag that took about an hour.
We went down to the pharmacy to pick up my anti nausea meds. We were waiting for them to put it together when I started noticing my breathing was getting a little deeper. It had been 20 minutes and so my mom decided to go stand in line again to hurry them along. I started shaking and breathing heavily. I didnt want to yell for my mom and bring attention to myself so I texted her. She didnt get the text but she was paying and walking back over. She knew something was wrong right away and ran for a wheel chair. She ran me up back to oncology and they took me back immediately. They wrapped me in warm blankets, gave me hand warmers and took my blood pressure. My blood pressure was ok but I was shaking and my teeth were chattering uncontrollably. They called in Dr. L and asked if they should give me benadryl. He said not yet. Eventually I calmed down and was back to normal. They said it could be a reaction to any of the chemos. It was scary in the moment but I was super glad we were still in kaiser when it happened.
After we got that under control my mom drove me home and we had something to eat. My Mom, Aunt and Gram basically prepped everything they could for Thanksgiving. My Aunt and Gram drove home (an hour away) late that night and my Mom started the pumpkin pies. It was definitely a different experience "making pie" this year. I was laying on the chaise part of my sectional while talking with my mom. She was doing all the work and I was fighting off hot and cold flashes. Ryan basically had taken on the role of working Dad and stay at home mom.. Even before my diagnoses I would have such bad nausea and be so tired that he had to do everything. I never had to ask him for help he just did it. He gave Olivia her bath every night, got her to bed, did the laundry and dishes.. anything I needed. I can say that this whole experience has really made our relationship stronger. I knew he loved me before but now there is no denying it.
On Thanksgiving morning I took my medicine and decided I better get the turkey going. It was my first turkey and I was terrified. My Gram had made the stuffing the day before so we just had to rinse, dry and stuff the turkey. It was a fun experience doing that with Ryan. My Mom, Aunt and Gram arrived a little early to help get everything going and I can admit that giving up control is not something I am good at. I wanted to host.. and be a hostess. They were good about asking me where I wanted things but I did lose my patience a few times. I blame the steroids.. HAHA! I felt great for Thanksgiving. The only reaction I had was hot flashes and taste change. A couple things that I tasted were a little bland. I knew it was just my tongue though. I asked Ryan a couple times if the food item tasted "normal." Every time he said yes. Everyone enjoyed their meal, visiting and dessert. Everyone came together and cleaned up. It was a very nice day. I loved having a house full of family. It was just what I needed for that day after treatment.

Here are a few pictures from Thanksgiving.





1 comment:

  1. Stefanie, thank you so much for sharing your journey with us! I am so sorry for all you have endured and am so amazed at your strength and courage!! Your love for your family, including your unborn daughter is so obvious. The love you and Ryan have for each other is inspirational. You are obviously such a blessing to so many people...it sucks that you are having to fight this battle, but I believe you will bless even more people by your courage in fighting and winning this battle. Stay faithful...He wants to use you to reach others! Love you Stef...I will continue to pray - fervently - for you! Love you, Krista Harrell

    ReplyDelete